Monday 15 December 2008

Roy Christie's Flies

I had promised to share with you some photos of flies from when Roy Christie visited the Bristol Fly Dressers' Guild.

I has sent Roy some porcupine to try out the week before and I was delighted when he presented me with his Inversed Danica imitation:




The picture simply doesn't do this work of art justice. A wonderful example of fly dressing - thankyou Roy. One for the display box...

I have also tied some flies following Roy's suggestions and tips. Obviously not the genuine article, tied only by me, but hopefully they give the idea behind these innovative patterns.

The Inverse, Reverse Emerger:


This fly has the hackle tied in a monofilament paraloop and with a sunken tippet, itworks a treat. Very natural presentation.

The Avon Special:


Obviously tied with the hackle around the bend of the hook, I have bent the shank slightly to achieve the desired shape. I haven't quite got it right but it gives the idea of the effect. This pattern was an absolute life-saver for me last summer on Wales' River Usk.


If you get the chance to watch Roy tie (he is a regular show tyer in the UK and US)I highly recommend it.

Cheers,
Dave.

No comments: