Thursday 8 January 2009

Clippered Emergers

I have been bitten (not literally) by the emerger bug since the end of last season. Such is the vulnerability of this stage, it plays such a huge role in my catches.If fish are rising, I find a well fished emerger pattern will more successful than a 'fully-dry' dun pattern. I grant you that the emerger gives me more confidence - therefore I fish it more - therefore it brings me continued results... and on, and on...

This is a pattern I have started to trust. I like the profile (being so thin) and the footprint is very soft in the surface film. This ine has been sent to Hans for photography and hopefullty the addition to the flytier's page:

Clippered Buzzer


Hook: Partridge 15BN #18
Thread: Powersilk 10/0 olive
Rib: Waxed thread dubbed with mole
Hackle: Dark blue dun, rooster
Wing: TMC Aerowing, tan

Hackle is palmered along the thorax and then the wing buds pulled forwards and tied behind the eye. The under hackle is then clipped and the remaining fibres curled / coaxed upwards with scissor blades.

1 comment:

Dave Oates said...

looks great, going to copy this one.

cheers dave

ps nice blog