Sunday 11 January 2009

Heilen Laddie

In May 2007, Stan Headley wrote an article about fishing Loch Heilen - a loch that he describes as 'A classic trophy fish loch'.

Whilst I have never fished there, the article was an interesting read and Stan described the birth of a new, before-unnamed fly which had been tied for use at Leven. The fly was christened the 'Heilen Laddie Muddler'.

So here is my interpretation of the fly that, this year, I have high hopes for when I tackle the fish of Chew Valley. Whilst many of you will know, it is river fishing that predominates my season, but those big shiny rainbows and possible big dog browns that inhabit Chew Valley, enthuse me hugely.

Heilen Laddie:

Hook: Wet fly #10
Thread: 14/0 sheer, grey
Body: silver tinsel
Rib: fine sliver wire
Tail: Red rooster fibres
Wing: Teal flank with 4 strands of sparkle
Head: Spun deer hair (the original fly used black deer hair)


My variant of this great looking pattern:
Heilen Laddie Gold & Green Variant



Hook: Wet fly #10
Thread: 14/0 sheer, grey
Body: gold tinsel
Rib: fine gold oval
Tail: Green rooster fibres
Wing: Teal flank with 4 strands of sparkle
Head: Spun deer hair

1 comment:

letumgo said...

Dave - This fly is very similar to a fly pattern called a Mini-muddler, tyed by Fran Betters (a famous fly tyer from the Adirondack Mountains of New York). He ties them in sizes 12, 14 and 16. If they don't work as mini streamers, he trims the dear hair back and fishes them as small emergers.

I like the ones you tyed very much. The barred wing and red tail look great together.